ARCHIVES

LINKS

Plant Nurseries

Seed Suppliers

Societies

Garden products & services.

Posted:July 20, 2006

Growing Cycas Revoluta. The Sago Palm.
Cycas Revoluta

The history of Cycads stretches back over millions of years, with various aspects of it still the subject of much debate.
Cycad fossil's, have been recovered from from almost every corner of the modern day world and when dated, many have been shown to be between 250 and 280 million years old.
At their Zenith during the Jurassic Period, when they all but dominated the vegetation, various factors combined which saw the beginning of their decline.
Today there are some 250 species left and many, if not the majority of these are threatened with extinction.
I'm not a particularly "Green" kind of bloke, but I think it would be a great tragedy if these magnificent and fascinating plants were to disappear forever.
Let's hope that something can be done to secure their future.


Native to the Ruyukyu Islands of Japan, Cycas Revoluta has been cultivated for centuries, being a much revered plant in its homeland.
From here, it has spread throughout the World and wherever Cycads can be grown you'll find C.Revoluta somewhere, either as a houseplant, landscape plant or even as a subject for Bonsai.
One thing does puzzle me though.
When you consider, the many thousands of plants that are raised each year for the U.K. market alone, where does all the seed come from?


Cultivation
In Pots

Despite its reputation for being an easy to grow plant, it wasn't until I'd got to grips with the watering, that I had any sort of success and this was usually short lived.
Rotting roots were the main problems, causing me to lose several plants.
Whenever I repotted one, it invariably went into a massive sulk, lasting anything up to a year or two or three.
So, some three years ago, I abandoned growing them in pots in favour of planting them out in the garden.


For those with masochistic tendencies or are members of the "Greenfinger" club I offer these tips, based on my experiences.
C.Revoluta is very sensitive to over watering, particularly in winter.
You must ensure that drainage in your pot is first class, anything less will invariably result in the roots rotting.
Allow the plant to dry out between watering, don't do my trick, "a little bit more wont hurt" it does, keep it on the dry side!
If you do repot your plant, ( you brave soul! ) a good compost can be made up using J.I.No2/3, Coir, well rotted manure and orchid bark chips or Perlite.
I used 1 part each of J.I, Coir and manure mixed with a generous 2 parts orchid bark chips or Perlite and long life fertilizer.
I also added charcoal pieces to the mixture as this helps to keep the compost sweet.
This gives a fast draining, aerated mixture which should hold just enough moisture to keep the plant happy.

In the garden.

Ive actually tried, to grow C.Revoluta in the garden on several occasions in the past but without much success.
Rotting at the base of the plants and the roots being the cause of their demise.
Three years ago, after abandoning trying to grow them in pots I decided to have one last go at growing them in the garden.


So in Spring 2003 I planted three out in the garden.
(There's one thing I should point out.
When I first tried them out in the garden, I planted part of the stem as well.
Big mistake!
Moisture gets trapped in the old leaf stalks and this, I believe is what caused the base of the plant to rot.
Only plant the roots, leave the stem resting on the surface.)
One, is planted in a shady south facing spot in the front garden.
In 2004 it grew three leaves which have since gone into decline and its done nothing since.
Another one, ( pictured ) I've planted in the back garden.
This one lives in a south west facing raised bed and it's lightly shaded by a Lilac tree and the overhanging fronds of a small T.Fortunii.
Without the shading, it would get full sun from 1pm. until sunset.
I built this bed some eight years ago, it's very fast draining and it dries out quickly.
The final one is also in the back garden.
This one however, is planted in a border, in a north facing spot, some 10ins away from a wall.
This one, only gets the final rays of the sun, from about 5pm. to sunset.
This year, in the middle of June, both these plants began to grow new leaves.
As can be seen from the photo, taken on the 15th July they're not large but at least they're a start.
Am I pleased? You bet I am.
I'm watering and feeding them well and the plants look a picture of health, I just hope they make it through the coming winter o.k. Posted by:Mike.

Note This has been a long Blog and there is a great deal more that I could add, space however is at a premium.
I've kept a lot of notes ocncerning the growing of C.Revoluta, so if I can be of any help, please get in touch.