ARCHIVES

LINKS

Plant Nurseries

Seed Suppliers

Societies

Garden products & services.

Posted:July 13, 2006

Growing Chamaedorea Microspadix, the hardy bamboo palm.
Chamaedorea Microspadix

There are some palms, which I describe as "mystery" palms.
The reason for this, is because it's a mystery to me why no one here in the U.K. seems to grow them.
Although I've looked at various forums and the odd personal website, I've never seen C. Microspadix mentioned anywhere.
Whether people are growing it and keeping quiet about it for some reason I don't know. Perhaps they prefer the more "Glamorous" palms
One thing is certain though, if you're not growing it, you're missing out on a great palm.



C.Microspadix, hails from forested areas of central Mexico and has turned out to be one of the hardiest palms that I grow.
When I bought my plant, it was a tiny little thing and for a couple of years I grew it as a houseplant.
Although it looked good grown in a pot, I found that I was fighting a losing battle against Red Spider Mite.
More in desperation than hope, I decided to take the plunge and plant it out.
So, some four years ago, I planted it out in a shady spot in the garden.
Although it still suffers from the occasional attack by the dreaded Mite it's turned out to be a really good garden palm.
A worthy addition to any collection.

Cultivation

Growing C.Microspadix is easy, it does best in rich well drained soil in light to medium shade.
For planting in the garden, use your favourite method or see my blog titled "Planting Out Your Treasures".

Growing in pots:

When grown in a pot, pay particular attention to the drainage, err on the side of too much rather than too little.
If you're using a plastic pot, add more drainage material.
C.Microspadix doesn't seem to be fussy about compost, so as long as it's well drained you can use anything really.
I made one up using 1 part J.I.no2, 1 part soilless, 1 part coir and 2 parts small bark chips, plus long life fertilizer.
Whether, planted out, or grown in a pot, keep it well watered and fertilized during growth.
Keep the pot just moist in winter.



Summary:

C.Microspadix is one of those palms which look good in a pot or in the garden.
Provided you keep your eye open for Spider Mite, which seems to be its greatest enemy, you should have little trouble with it.
All in all, a great palm. Posted by:Mike.

Note:  For a more comprehensive explanation of how I plant my palms, see my June blog: