ARCHIVES

LINKS

Plant Nurseries

Seed Suppliers

Societies

Garden products & services.

Posted:May 19, 2006

Puya Alpestris A "Gem" Plant.
Puya Alpestris
One of the most satisfying aspects of growing exotics, is when one of your plants exceeds your expectations and comes through the winter successfully
I have several plants, which according to the information I've managed to find out about them should have gone to that Great Garden in the Sky a long time ago, but come the spring they're still with me and looking good. These are my "Gem Plants" and Puya Alpestris is one of them.

The first thing that strikes you about this plant is its resemblance to a giant Pineapple top. Which is not surprising as it's a member of the same family. The second thing, if you're not carefull, will be to make the acquaintance of the spine's that run along the leaf edge's. These are shaped like sharks teeth and are vicious looking things. ( And they're sharp! I know.) Don't let this put you off, because it's a plant well worth growing, just keep it away from kids and dogs.

Cultivation

P.Alpestris grows at high altitudes in the Chilean Andes and it will grow in full sun ( recommended ) or light shade. Fast drainage is a must as its water requirements are low and any excess water around the roots could cause problems.

Although it can be grown in a pot, in fact that's how I grew it for the first year, it isn't something I'd recommend. This is a bulky plant and tends to blow over easily, you also have the problem of handling it and this can be nerve racking. However, if you want to try it, use a one to one mix of J.I.No2 and gravel.

I've had my plant for five years now and it's been planted out for four of them. It grows in a small gravel bed in a south facing position where I used to grow some choice Alpines. Apart from bringing it indoors the first winter, I've never given it any winter protection and apart from the odd pale spot which sometimes appears on the leaves I've had no problems with it at all. Even the bugs, slugs and other "Pain in the Bums" leave it alone. In the spring and midsummer I give it a couple of doses of half strength tomato fertilizer and sequestered trace elements and that's it. I leave the rest to the Gardening Gods and Nature. All in all, a great plant.   Posted by: Mike.

Footnote. Although there are several varieties of Puya available to the enthusiast, I've only seen P.Alpestris for sale at Trevena Cross Nurseries. So if you want to give it a try, go to the link's column and click on www.trevenacross.co.uk.