ARCHIVES

LINKS

Plant Nurseries

Seed Suppliers

Societies

Garden products & services.

Posted:November 06, 2006

Dicksonia Antarctica & D.Fibrosa. Winter protection.
Dicksonia Antarctica and D.Fibrosa winter protection.

In a recent e.mail, I was asked if I thought D.Fibrosa was suitable for permanent planting out here in the W.Midlands.
Although I’ve never grown this particular tree fern, I know where they do, so I paid a couple of visits to Birmingham Botanical Gardens.
Here, in a small “grove” they grow D.Antarctica, D.Fibrosa and many other hardy ferns.
As a result of these visits, I’ve revised this blog to show how they protect their ferns for the winter.
Looking at the picture of D.Fibrosa, I think it’s pretty self explanatory.
( If you think the method used bears a strong resemblance to protecting bananas and the like, you’d be right. )

The Method

The plastic you can see in the photo, is the type of stuff you fix to a wall to support climbing plants. ( Plastic trellis. )
It needs to be of a width, wide enough to surround the fern trunk leaving a gap of some 3 to 4ins. between the trunk and the trellis.
Idealy, it should be at least as tall as the trunk.
Starting at the bottom, the edges of the trellis are wired together say a foot or two up.
This is then packed with straw and the process repeated until the top is reached.
Finaly, the top is packed with straw to protect the crown and topped of with something to keep excess rain out.
They used the plastic saucers that you stand plant pots in.
The bamboo wraparound that you can see in the picture is optional and unless you live in an extremely cold area, shouldn't be necessary.

Compared to this way of protecting tree ferns, my way of doing it is positively "Minimalist."
I've never felt the need to protect the trunk on my D.Antarctica, so all I do is protect the crown.
This is simply a matter of stuffing straw or dry newspaper into the top until it's full.
If I'm using newspaper, I change it if it gets wet, that way, the crown stays nice and dry and ice doesn't form in the top.
That my friends, is all there is to it.  Posted by:  Mike.